Heart attack

Tuesday, May 21, 2024

All In A Summer's Day

Friday. 3.00 p.m. It is a fine and sunny day. My work on my family tree is going exceptionally well. I can't spell genealogy (not sure whether that's the correct spell, but the spell-checker hasn't made any comments, so I imagine it's fine.) I have around 500 people on it, and it goes back over 500 years.

Saturday. 2.50 p.m. I drove off to Chipping Norton, for the study day, which was about rebellion and revolution in Oxfordshire and, in particular, Chipping Norton, and featuring 'The Ascott Martyrs.'

I had done some research on Google Maps, in order to learn where I could park, and had found the postcode of one car park and had it ready to put in the car's built in satnav. I knew the route well, as   Carol and I had used the road on numerous occasions. It was a delight to be able to enjoy the Oxfordshire countryside as I drove along and got to Chipping Norton at around 9.20. I found a long-stay car park and then discovered that the town hall, where the study day was taking place, just over the road and there was a sign on the pavement to show the way into the Town Hall and up some stairs.

Going inside the town hall, I was greeted by a lady who checked me in on a list. I had bought my ticket online, and I didn't have a paper ticket, but my name was on the list. It just goes to show that technology makes this sort of thing so easy. In fact, if it hadn't been for a post on Facebook about this event, I would never have known otherwise. In fact, if it hadn't been for the internet, I would never have discovered about the Ascott Martyrs.

I then went up the stairs to the hall where the talks were to take place. It was a large, old-fashioned space,  that had seen better days. A typical multi-functional hall with a stage at one end, with rather worn set of curtains and a balcony the other end, presumably with seating for performance, and below, as I came into the hall, ladies behind a counter serving tea, coffee and biscuits.

The talks were due to start at 10 o'clock, so I had around 20 minutes to wait.

The three talks were as follows: 1: 'The Otmoor Riots In The Wider Context.' Given by Ciaran Walsh.

2: Priests, Property, or The Prayer Book,' Given by Adrienne Rosen.

3: 'A Restless Town: Civil Strife and Public Disorder in Chipping Norton.' Given by Simon Draper. This talk was the one that covered The Ascott Martyrs, although I didn't really learn much that I didn't already know about. Having said that, there was a great deal that I didn't know about, particularly The Otmoor Riots, The Bliss Mill strikes who happened in the period of the First World War, 1914-1918.

The talks finished at around 12.30, followed by an A.G.M. for the Oxfordshire Local History Association, who were responsible for the study day. After that, there was to be a guided walk around Chipping Norton, to look at the various sites that featured in the talks. I wasn't staying for the A.G.M., because I wasn't a member of O.L.H.A. and the walk sounded as it would be quite tiring for me, and, having had that blackout at the beginning of the year, I didn't think it was advisable to risk going on it. So, I decided to leave and find something to eat, such as a sandwich, and, on my way back to the car, I saw a Sainsbury's Local on the street corner, so went in and bought a sandwich, packet of crisps and a drink in their 'Meal Deal' and then went to the car park and began the journey home to Milton Keynes, with the intention of finding a stopping place on the road, to sit and eat my sandwich,.

Having done family history research, I am discovering ancestors who I had never known had existed (understandable, I suppose.) Also, in most instances, where they live, and many of the villages I went through on the drive to and from Chipping Norton, or were close by, where many of these ancestors lived. A really strange feeling, to be so close to where they lived and worked.

I didn't find a place to stop and eat my sandwich, so I just kept going until I got back to Milton Keynes.

Monday. 4.55 p.m. It's been a warm and sunny day, and, as I write this, it continues to be the same.

Tuesday. 7.25 a.m. I woke up a good deal later than usual. Alfie has been out and it seemed as if it had been raining. 

I think I mentioned the chat I had with the lady who was registering people as they went into the study day in Chipping Norton. I said I was there because of my possible connection to the Ascott Martyrs, through my family history research and their connection to my mother's family, who came from a village called Leafield, which is near Ascott Under Wychwood. I had hoped to have a further chat with her because she had mentioned something about a family history day, which was going to be held in Ascott in June. But it didn't happen, so I sent an email about all this, and she has since replied and told me that the family history day will be on Saturday, June 22nd, so if I go to this free event it is possible that I might find further connections with the Ascott Martyrs.

My family history research has exploded somewhat. I have almost 700 people on my tree and goes back as far as 1033, which is simply amazing. I thought, when I began all this work, that I might get back to about the time of William Shakespeare, which would be about 1560-70. But to get back before the Battle of Hastings in 1066 is fantastic!


No comments: