Heart attack

Saturday, June 15, 2024

Jolly, Jolly Good!

Saturday. 1.05 p.m. We had our monthly men's breakfast at the Oaktree Centre this morning. I had intended to go to Aldi at West Croft, but when I came out of the Oaktree Centre and got to the junction onto Chaffron Way, there was so much traffic that I decided to turn left towards the centre of Milton Keynes and go to Sainsbury's to get a replacement for the joint of beef I had to return yesterday because it was around three months past it's 'best before' date. I went to pay and went into one of the areas with self-service tills inside and scanned and paid, and then this woman came up to me, a member of Sainsbury's staff, asked me if I had used a scanner, and I said no, but I couldn't get the app to work on my iPhone and she responded by telling me if I had a Nectar card I could use one of the hand-held scanners for the job and, in effect, I should use that particular self-service tell because it was meant for those who scanned with a hand-held scanner. A real sense of being well and truly told off, so I'm sure I won't forget it in a hurry.

Sunday. 7.20 a.m. Bright and sunny start of Sunday. That's all I have to say today.

Monday. 8.30 a.m. I wasn't sure whether it had been raining overnight, because I looked out of the kitchen window I couldn't be definite because I couldn't see signs of the path across the garden being wet, but when I went out with Alfie, there was a sort of drizzle, but, as I write this, it's bright and sunny. 

The digital thermometer currently reads 22ºc.

3.20 p.m. It's still sunny, but there is quite a strong wind.

Thursday. 6.35 a.m. Another seemingly bright and sunny day. The digital thermometer currently reads 23ºc. 

I don't know whether I have mentioned this, but, when I had the recent blood test done at Central Milton Keynes Medical Centre, it was found that I had a high level of sugar in my blood. As a result, it had been suggested I take part in a course to help reduce my chances of becoming diabetic, so I have made an appointment to start the course, and then I had a telephone assessment done on Monday afternoon.

Friday. 7.40 a.m. Washing day again. The excitement is overwhelming! Everything in the machine and it's doing its job. So that will be done in around 50 minutes or so.

A bright and sunny morning. The digital thermometer currently reads 22ºc.

I'm currently reading a book entitled 'Churchill's Most Secret Airfield: R.A.F. Tempsford,' written by Bernard O'Connor. I only discovered this airfield from looking at Google Maps and seeing it identified. It's interesting what you find when you look at Google Maps. I lived around 15 miles away from this site, living in Cardington and Cople, as well as having a job in Everton as a support worker in a residential home for people with learning disabilities, which was only a mile or so away from this site. Like a lot of these places which were used during the Second World War, and in particular, Bletchley Park, which isn't far from where I now live in Milton Keynes, they were kept secret and have only until recently been revealed to be a major part of the war effort and many of those who worked there have only very come forward to tell of the secret work done there.  R.A.F. Tempsford was used as a base for agents of the S.O.E. (Special Operations Executive), who were flown into enemy territory in occupied France and other countries, and then parachuted in to engage with the resistance to cause havoc to Nazi defences and help bring about the liberation of France. The book is excellent, but it is printed in a minuscule type, which makes it quite difficult to read.

Saturday. 8.30 a.m. It's bright and sunny. Yippee! The digital thermometer currently reads 22ºc.

11.45 a.m. I've been to Sainsbury's. I went a good deal earlier because it's Saturday. As I went out to the car, there was a light rain, but nothing to worry about. I know that Alfie won't like it, as he doesn't appreciate getting wet. So much for saying it was bright and sunny. Just typical British weather.

No comments: