Heart attack

Friday, June 28, 2024

Walking On Sunshine

 Sunday. 3.20 p.m. Yesterday I needed to get a birthday card for my brother Andrew, who lives in Norfolk. I had bought it in Sainsbury's. Once I had it, written an addressed, I needed a stamp (otherwise, how is it going to get there?) I drove to One Stop in Coffee Hall, which has a Post Office inside. I spoke to the guy behind the counter and said, 'are you using the Horizon software on your computer?' (alluding to the Post office scandal which was about faulty Horizon software which caused a great many sub-postmasters being convicted of theft when they were found to have allegedly taken the money, but the software made it seem as if they had, when they hadn't. The inquiry into this scandal is still taking place.) I was surprised to learn that this particular Post Office was closing soon, to be replaced by a counter which would allow only the basic services to be available. The nearest Post Office (although basic.) It is inside the Eaglestone shop, which I have used many times. So, Coffee Hall will have to manage with a much less serviceable post office.

It has been a really fine and sunny day today. Which accounts for the title I gave this blog post. The digital thermometer currently reads 28ºc, and, according to the weather forecast on BBC Breakfast, we can expect it to get even hotter.

There were three people baptised in church this morning, and, as a result, there were quite a few new faces in the congregation, no doubt family and friends of those who were baptised.

Tuesday. 7.30 a.m. Yet another bright and sunny morning. Temperature currently reading 25ºc on my digital thermometer. I've had the window open in the lounge, and it's pleasantly cool at the moment.

I have made a great discovery whilst doing my family history research. I now have over 5000 people on my tree. I am a descendent of Mungo Park, who was an explorer who discovered the River Niger in what it now Nigeria. Amazing what you uncover when you start your family history research.

Wednesday. 5.40 p.m. It has been the hottest day of the year, so far. Currently, the temperature reading on my digital thermometer is 29ºc.

Yesterday morning I went to the first pre-diabetic course which was held in the community hall in Great Linford. It was due to begin at 9.15, and I was concerned that the traffic would be heavy at that time of day. Fortunately it wasn't and the satnav came into very useful, directing me there, and I found a parking space which was handy. I was reluctant to go, but it was informative and interesting, and I think it will be worthwhile.

Friday. 7.30 a.m. It's another bright and sunny morning. The digital thermometer currently reads 22ºc. The window in the lounge has been open all night, hence making the place so much cooler.

No comments: