Heart attack

Monday, May 06, 2024

Unsettled Weather?

Thursday. 7.20 a.m. It's not quite so bright and sunny this morning. As I write this, I can hear the wind howling outside. Does it want to be let in? No, but the idea of wind howling does suggest that. 

Friday. 5.40 a.m. It's raining at the moment. I took Alfie out, and we didn't stay out long. I didn't want to get wet, and neither did Alfie.

11.00 a.m. I have been to Sainsbury's. The rain held off, not that it made any difference. 

I did my shop in Sainsbury's (now there's a surprise!) and at the end, when everything I had on my list was in the trolley, I went towards the tills. By this time there was quite a crowd of customers, queuing up, like me, ready to pay. I had accepted that I was going to have to use a self-service till, even though I dislike them, basically because they always go wrong, won't accept some items, hence you get 'item in bagging area' and suchlike messages. When I arrived in the fenced-off area, where the self-service tills are situated, many of these benighted machines had  'out of service' notices on their digital screens. Crazy, to have so many customers in the store, yet not have these devices ready for your customers. A few customers were using those machines which were operating. So, I pushed my trolley out of the self-service area and attempted to find a manned till. One, (and I state ONE) was in operation, but many other manned tills weren't open. There was quite a queue forming,  people ready to put their shopping through the till. But I wasn't over-keen to wait, and then I noticed that there were now self-service tills opening, so I rushed back to the fenced-off area and managed to check off my shopping. All went well, except for one item that wouldn't scan. I just hate them. If you must insist on having these machines, which replace human-operated tills, just make sure they aren't faulty.

Saturday. 11.00 a.m. The weather is fine. Let's just hope it stays that way.

Sunday. 7.25 a.m. Not a great deal happened yesterday, as you probably can see from the one line I wrote above. I did watch the first episode of the third season of 'Clarkson's Farm' on Amazon Prime. I know he's something of a Marmite individual, you either like him or hate him (I suppose I hover mid-way.) and I must say it's very entertaining and watchable. Compared with what the BBC has to offer, a lot of which is wokefied (if that's the correct spelling. Indeed, is that even a word?) it does make a change and it's entertaining.. He certainly isn't 'politically correct' in a lot of what he does and says. 

I woke in the night and I could hear strange noises going on outside. Someone racing a car engine, making sounds which must have been annoying if you lived nearby and were trying to sleep. I think there are goings-on which the police ought to deal with, like racing along the grid roads around Milton Keynes, which is more than a little bit dangerous. I think those that do that sort of thing think, because it's late at night, that they can get away with that sort of danger, and that there won't be any police around to stop them.

1.35 p.m. It was my turn on the refreshment rota at church this morning. I don't do it alone, the lady who I work with on this is in the Thursday morning Bible study. I got to The Oaktree Centre at around 9.40 and began by filling up the coffee urn. This needs to be on, filled with ground coffee because it takes the entire length of the service to be ready to serve. The service usually lasts an hour and a half, finishing at around 12.15, but today it was a family service and finished earlier than usual, at around 11.30, so I had to leave several minutes before the end, to just make sure things were ready for when everyone came out and expecting either tea or coffee.

No comments: