Heart attack

Friday, December 10, 2010

Car Run Into

I've been to the local shop to get milk. It's a really cold morning, and the car took ages to warm up, so I didn't want to go too far. I got what I needed and drove back home. As I approached the house, a cab had drawn up to let the lady who lives next door out and the cab was obstructing our driveway. I hooted my car horn, the lady got out and went into her house and the cab drew away, allowing me to move into the driveway, but just as I moved he reversed into my car and dented the front of the car, just over the wheelarch. He obviously wasn't paying attention to what was going on around him, no doubt in far too much hurry to get to the next customer, and I was going to get his number or at least stop him to tell him about the incident, but he was off up the road before I could get his number or at least attract his attention. I then went to the house next door and got the name of the cab company which I rang. They phoned the driver and he returned about 10 minutes later and admitted it was his fault, but couldn't recall hitting my car. We have exchanged telephone numbers and addresses and he will pay to have the repair put right. Just more bother and aggrevation which I really don't need at the moment.

I have just had a telephone call on my mobile from a company who tells me that I am owed compensation for insurance protection. I have never had any sort of insurance with insurance protection on it.  I don't have a credit card, nor do I want one or need one. In my current financial situation I doubt very much whether I would get one. I'd much rather pay for things with cash and have complete control over what I spend my cash on. He insisted that I would have but I protested that I haven't got any sort of loan or credit to owe compensation on. I had to put the telephone down to get the conversation to end. Why don't these people take no for an answer and just go away? What a waste of time and effort!

I can imagine that I must be quite a difficult person to deal with on the telephone as I can generally see through these things a mile off. The other one is about mobile phones, how they say they can cut your bill, and I usually say, I bet they can't. It usually starts of with 'we'll give you a free mobile' then I say something like 'there's no such thing as a free lunch' and then they say that they can improve on my current mobile phone tarriff. I just say that I don't need a new mobile, I'm not interested in all the things a mobile has on it, such as a camera, internet, free texts etc etc as I don't need them and don't ever use them. It turns out that the so-called offer means you are tied into a long contract that you don't want or need. I'm quite happy with my pay-as-you-go mobile phone, as I don't use it that often. I have broadband internet on my iMac and the internet connection on a mobile phone is slow and extremely expensive and the screen is too small to be able to see it and it's too fiddly to actually navigate it properly, so in that case I'm not going to bother with it. I think that is the problems at the moment, and how we got into this awful situation with the Credit Crunch. People living on credit, having 'funny money' and then getting into debt. People getting mortgages and loans that they can't possibly pay back, and the banks knowing very well that they can't and then expecting the Government to bail them out when they get into trouble. So, we now owe billions and billions in debt to goodness knows who.  End of rant.

No comments: