Heart attack

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Remembering Louis Fussell- Part 1





I lived at 35 Rutland Road, Bedford for around four years, between around 1998 to 2002. I'm not going to write about the reason for my living there, as it doesn't have any bearing on my life in this house. It belonged to Louis Fussell, a somewhat eccentric character, aged in his late 70's I suppose when I first moved in. The whole house had been turned over to allow various people to live there, with Louis living in the downstairs living room.  It took me some time to discover that he slept in there, on a rather rudimentary chaise longue. I think there would have been three other people living there when I moved in, but looking back, I'm not entirely sure. Louis was not entirely bothered about his appearance and had a heart of gold. He would do absolutely anything for you, even lending you cash, giving things to people when he no longer needed them himself.  He wasn't bothered about such niceties as asking for references when you moved in, so it's not surprising that there were one or two incidents as a result. Amazing to think that he didn't ask for references when you consider that anyone, a mass-murderer drug addict or any other suspect individual could have been living there and he wouldn't have been any the wiser.

Portrait of Louis Fussell

Credit: Fotdmike/Flickr

One of his major eccentricities was going to Bedford Market when it was closing down, later on, Wednesdays and Saturdays and coming home on his bicycle (he didn't drive and had no car. I can't imagine him driving, which doesn't bear thinking about!) Anyway, he'd come back from his market trips with as much of the left-over fruit and vegetables as he could in the box which he had strapped to the back of his trusty Pashley bicycle. He would then spread it out all over the work-surfaces of the kitchen and sort out the best bits and throw away the really worst, moldiest, rotten fruit and vegetable (which wasn't much, as he would invariably cut out the worst bits.) and some was made into juice which was done using some sort of contraption which was set up on the ancient cooker and boiled and reduced the fruit into this juice. I still don't know exactly how this was achieved. Once he had bagged up the remaining fruit and veg he would get on his bicycle and then deliver these goods to various people he knew all around the Bedford area.

Louis was a violin teacher, but he also made violins in a workshop at the rear of the house, entered through the kitchen and from the side-yard. He also did an amazing amount for charity, working tirelessly to raise funds for various local charities, in particular, the Primrose Appeal, to be run by Macmillan the cancer support charity to fund a  treatment unit at Bedford South Wing Hospital. He could be seen out in the centre of Bedford on many a busy shopping day, standing in Church Square in Bedford town centre, with his bicycle and bucket, and people readily put their change into it. Also, as a member of a local symphony orchestra, where he played viola, he put on concerts which helped raise money for not only the Primrose Appeal but other local charities. He also wrote orchestral works, many premiered in Bedford Corn Exchange. He helped found the Cycling Campaign for North Bedfordshire in 1992. He had a predilection for swimming in the River Ouse, which runs through Bedford. I'm not sure about the legality of doing this, but I don't think he would let that stop him doing that, even though I'm sure it was quite dangerous, particularly as you wouldn't be able to see what was below the water's surface, such things as rocks, shopping trolleys, sharp objects and so on, or even near the various weirs and out-flows that come out of the river.  He rode from Land's End  to John O'Groats several times as well as other long-distance bicycle rides, usually for charity, and in particular for the Primrose Appeal, the Poppy Appeal and other charities too numerous to mention. He sometimes rode around 70 miles a day and was making these journeys well into his 80's.

He was also an avid karate practitioner (do I mean player? I'm not sure of the correct term.) He used to go off somewhere in the town to partake in this and had his own outfit. I believe he got to quite a high standard (Dan? Black Belt? Or is that for Judo?) Anyway, I don't think you would argue with him as he could use his karate to deal with things. I don't think he would, as he was a gentle sort of man and wouldn't hurt a fly. I know he was a vegetarian, so perhaps that would explain quite a few things.

As I've already mentioned, Louis was extremely generous and would help anyone. On one occasion he took me to London to see a show. I wasn't working on this particular day and just happened to be reading a paper and looking at a review of a show at the National Theatre in London. It was for a production of  the Leonard Bernstein musical 'Candide' and mentioned to Louis that I'd like to see it. He said he'd like to go to London and see it, and that he'd try and book tickets. I was thinking, well, yes, but in a few weeks time, perhaps. But he rang up, and managed to book us two tickets for that evening! He was like that, he would act on the spur of the moment. He made himself some sandwiches to eat on the train, as there wasn't time for him to have a meal before we left and then got a train into London from the Midland Railway Station in Bedford. As we went to London on the train, he ate his sandwiches. He didn't make a lot of effort to change, as I had done, and wore his old grubby shorts and sandals. When we got off the train in London, it took me all my time and effort to keep up with him as he virtually ran all over the place, up and down steps on the Underground system, and when we got off the train at Waterloo and on the way to the National Theatre on the South Bank. I was around my late 40's at this time, and he must have been in his late 70's, and it took me all my time to keep up with him! Quite amazing for his age!

We got to the National Theatre and picked up our tickets. Our seats were at the very front of the stage. At one point during the action of the show, the leading actor, Simon Russell-Beale, came to the front of the stage for part of the action of the show, misjudged his footing and fell off the stage and landed on my foot, apologized to me, then got back on the stage! Just part of a live show, you never know what is likely to happen, and any decent actor worth his/her salt can get out of a mishap without too much effort. Not every day you get a world-class actor such as Mr Russell-Beale step on your foot!

It was a wonderful show, and I enjoyed it enormously. I'm not sure whether Louis enjoyed it, but it was the fact that the whole outing was so spontaneous and unexpected which made it so memorable. The incident with Simon Russell-Beale just added to the evening's entertainment, I suppose.

Louis died on Friday, January 25th, 2008, as a result of an accident with a car in Wentworth Drive, Bedford. He is, I am sure, sorely missed by everyone who knew him. It seems particularly sad to think that he rode his bicycle all that distance yet he died so close to his home in Bedford.


24 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely piece and what a lovely sounding man, he obviously was. I saw a violin for sale at an auction today in Diss, Norfolk with his name as the maker. I googled his name and your blog came up.

John Murdoch said...

So glad to hear what happened to one of his violins. I'd love to know where it went, who purchased it and how much it made at the auction. How did it get there and who took it there?

Andrew Mouatt said...

Diss Auction Rooms, 07 March 2014

Lot No: 281

A violin in hard case made by Louis Fussell, Aberdeen 1971 The ''Frances'' Violin
Lot sold for: £65.00

http://www.twgaze.co.uk/auction/lots/?id=671&currentpage=6

Merian Denning said...

I own a Louis Fussell violin, made for me in the mid 1970's and still going strong! It has played in several orchestras both in the uk and in Switzerland. My memories of Mr Fussell are of our violin lessons in a basement room at school and afternoon tea in his front room with his mother! A lovely blog and so sad to learn of his final demise.

John Murdoch said...

Really interested to hear what happened to any of the violins Louis made. Thanks for your comment.

MrsBridgewater said...

Oh, this is a blast from the past! Mr Fussell taught music at my school in the 1980s. He and his mother were a regular fixture at the school. If one learnt violin one had to take tea with Mr Fussell and mother.

John Murdoch said...

Good to hear from someone who knew Louis.

Unknown said...

Lovely to read this about old Louis.
I was his pupil in the 1970s in Aberdeen at the High School, and played on the 'Valerie violin' he made for me in 1973.
I played in a quartet in his front room every Thursday evening, with his delightful mother sitting in her black lace, smiling. He would compose pieces for us to play, hand-written in his own unique wiggly style!
Orchestra Christmas parties in his house were a hoot - he would remove the sitting room door to fit us all in; we played games, music, and dined on Tartex sandwiches. He was a strict vegetarian. He and 'Mother' used to go on the train from Aberdeen every summer to the Tatra mountains for walking holidays - she was ancient!
I have a trio he composed for my birthday, which to this day I have never played.
Every lesson I had with him began with a hug which squeezed the air out of my lungs. You wouldn't be allowed to do this nowadays, but Louis loved every one of us.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Lovely to read this about old Louis.
I was his pupil in the 1970s in Aberdeen at the High School, and played on the 'Valerie violin' he made for me in 1973.
I played in a quartet in his front room every Thursday evening, with his delightful mother sitting in her black lace, smiling. He would compose pieces for us to play, hand-written in his own unique wiggly style!
Orchestra Christmas parties in his house were a hoot - he would remove the sitting room door to fit us all in; we played games, music, and dined on Tartex sandwiches. He was a strict vegetarian. He and 'Mother' used to go on the train from Aberdeen every summer to the Tatra mountains for walking holidays - she was ancient!
I have a trio he composed for my birthday, which to this day I have never played.
Every lesson I had with him began with a hug which squeezed the air out of my lungs. You wouldn't be allowed to do this nowadays, but Louis loved every one of us.

John Murdoch said...

Thanks for this. I'm certainly building up a picture of Louis before he moved to Bedford.

John Murdoch said...

Didn't know he'd lived in Aberdeen. Do you have any further memories of him?

fedro1234 said...

I, for some reason though of Louis, so goggled him. He taught me in the 60's. He used to tutor me at home in Gosport, Hampshire. His mum used to make amazing rock cakes. I was also in the Fareham and Gosport orchestra. One day he just disappeared so it is good to read about his life. Sheena

Anonymous said...

Hello John I can remember you telling me and my Nan so many story's about Louis. It's been a long time since we last saw you hope your keeping all right. Me and Nan were wondering how you were.

Anonymous said...

Hello John I can remember you telling me and my Nan so many story's about Louis. It's been a long time since we last saw you hope your keeping all right. Me and Nan were wondering how you were. How is your daughter Chloe is she ok. My Names peter you probable remember me when I was a kid.

John Murdoch said...

Hi Peter. Yes, I do remember you. I lived at your Nan's for a few months. I had a heart attack in 2006. A year later I got married to Carol. She's a teacher. We met on-line. We live in Milton Keynes. I worked up until about five years ago, but I had to give it up as it was getting stressful. I officially retire this month. My daughter, Chloe, got married two years ago. She met Steve at university in Worcester and they now live there. She's expecting my first grandchild any day now. I found you on Facebook. Just tell your nan that I'm O.K. Is she on Facebook?

Anonymous said...

Hello John yeah me and Nan remember you very well. Yeah I can remember that me and Nan used to come up the flat. Because you was off work for quite a bit with it. Yeah me and Nan bumped into someone in town who knew you, I can't remember who it was tho. She's glad that you've met someone, I think she was a bit upset that you left and didn't say. I think she thought that something had happened to ya. She is all right and I've told her I found you and she was happy. She is all right tho, She hasn't changed one bit still going strong. These last few years I've not been in the best of health. I had started having Seizures and Heart Palpations, I've been clear now for five years. I am on tablets and there working I am on five a day, For the Epilepsy and Palpations. And I've also had trouble with me Liver as well, I am going for further tests for that. But other than that I am all right, I am working In the school kitchen now as a kitchen assistant. If you want you can add me as a friend, No Nan's not on Facebook. I asked would she sign up and she told she can switch on a computer lol.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you haven't been too well. I know all about epilepsy. I've looked after quite a few people who have it. I did some shifts at Macintyre in Milton Keynes and in Wingrave, at their school. Don't do any of that work any more. Does your nan have a computer or a tablet? She could go on Facebook. I didn't know about it until Chloe told me, which is why I joined. Also on Twitter and Google +. Tell her computers aren't difficult to use! I hope to get a better smartphone so I can email and go on Facebook. Easier to use than a computer. Carol has a Kindle and an iPad which she uses for her work as a teacher at Milton Keynes Academy. Did you Google to find me on my blog on here? Love to know how you found it. I've been writing it since 2009. Over 700 posts. Tell your nan that using a computer is easy! I'm sure you could show her how to use one. We use ours to order our groceries from Sainsbury's so we don't have to carry lots of bags home! Much easier than going into their store in MK!

John Murdoch said...

Hi Peter. Tell your Nan that my daughter, Chloe, had the baby, a boy, on Friday. He's to be called George. He weighed 10 L.B.! Have to wait a few weeks until we can go to Worcester to see him. So, I'm a grandad at last!

Piperlil61 said...

I remember Mr Fussell as being the violin teacher of my two elder sisters at Aberdeen High School for girls middle to late sixties. One memory was of going to tea with him and his mother, there was us 4girls, my mum and dad. He was at that time known as an eccentric gentleman, but gentleman he was, never knew where he went after Aberdeen, good to hear he lived to a good old age.

John Murdoch said...

Thanks for your comments. I can't believe that my blog post has had so many responses. Really great.

John Murdoch said...

Several more details since I did a Google search:
Louis birthday was Thursday, October 8th, 1925
He died on Friday, January 25th, 2008

He was born in Manchester

He was the founder of the Gosport and Fareham Youth Orchestra

I also discovered this, on the Bonham's auction website:
'A 20th Century cased violin and bow, 1990, together with a painted public house advertising sign, 'The Schooner Bar' and a large gilded figure of a lady.' Seems rather an odd sort of a lot, and there was nothing to say how much all of it went for. Just an interesting mention I thought.

Brian B said...

Hi John, I picked up a Louis Fussell violin in Hemel Hempstead today! It has the name the "Katharine II" on it. Never played the violin in my life, but it was my 68th birthday on Monday, and I've decided to have a go at it. Never too old to start when it comes to music!

John Murdoch said...

Thanks for this! It’s great to know that Louis’s violins are still going strong ‘out there’.