Heart attack

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Doctor's Appointment

I went to the doctor's surgery before 8 a.m. today to get an appointment. You can book via telephone, but it can take so long to get through that it's far easier to stand outside and queue. Apparently several of the doctors are off ill so it was quite difficult to get an appointment. So, what do doctors do when THEY are ill? Do they manage to prescribe themselves medication of does someone else in the surgery, another doctor, give them the prescription or do medical examinations? Is it a case of 'physician, heal thy self?' I've often wondered. Anyway, got the appointment for 10.10, so I went home and then went out nearer the appointment time. The computerised check-in system was not working. I think most doctors surgeries now have this technology, whereby you check in yourself on the computer screen. I had to give my details to the receptionist and she checked in on the computer system, but what a performance having to go through all the computer 'menus.' Crazy. Anyway, I got into the doctor's surgery and was given a prescription for antibiotics to clear up the problem with my ear. My hearing has gone very 'dull' to say the least. Then went into the next-door chemists to have the prescription made up and then home, just in time to receive our post as the postman was several doors along, pushing his little trolley.We are waiting for an order from Amazon, but the parcel that was handed over with Amazon emblazoned all over it was for Daniel. My free book for being a subscriber to BBC History Magazine had arrived. Last year I had the first volume of Peter Ackroyds History of England: Foundation. This one is the second volume, The Tudors.

Just to say one little thing that somewhat narks me, annoys or whatever. I had parked the car in the carpark behind the doctor's surgery and was somewhat shocked to  come across a pile of cigarette ends around the back of the block  (which also contains a dental surgery and the Cox and Robinson pharmacy.)as I walked back to the car  not just in the gutter that runs along the side of the building but also in the drains and roadside. I know we now have legislation  in Britain which forbids smoking in public places, so those who smoke are forced outside, but do they really, honestly, have to leave the remains of their cigarettes in the road, in the gutter, just on the ground? Can they not place them tidily out of sight, or can their employees arrange for them to have bins to put the stubbed-out cigarette ends in? I have noticed this when going to the central shopping centre in Milton Keynes, you get groups of- presumably- employees of the shops within the shopping centre, standing and smoking just outside in the open, and one imagines, just throwing the remains of their cigarettes on the ground. It looks awful, untidy, and must pose a health risk or hazard of some sort. Also, it just looks plain untidy. I thought, and may or may not be right on this matter, that you can be fined for littering in this way.

No comments: