Heart attack

Friday, December 07, 2012

Review of Medication

I have done our repeat prescriptions for this month. I thought it might be a good idea to get them done earlier than usual as the Christmas holiday as well as New Year will get in the way. I now put the prescriptions in by using the internet. It's a good deal easier than physically going to the surgery and filling out the relevant forms. It's saved on-line, so all you have to do is check the meds in the list and 'click'. It then should take 48 hours before you can pick up the prescriptions and take to a pharmacy to get them made up.

We have Ashfield Medical Centre in Beanfield  as our doctor's surgery. We used to use a surgery in Netherfield, but the receptionists there were not exactly careful with our privacy, particularly when we were waiting at the reception desk, so we moved to the new surgery. I went to collect the prescriptions early this morning and then went to the Cox and Robinson pharmacy which is next door to have these made up. I had to wait around 10 minutes for this and then the pharmacist came out with the made-up medications and said he wanted to speak to me in the consultation area.

I am used to having my medications reviewed regularly. Usually this is done by my doctor, but I presume they are now farming out this to local pharmacists.  When you have repeat medications, and for long-term health conditions such as a heart condition, which I have it is very important that these drugs are reviewed regularly so as to ensure correct administration and that they are working effectively. Also, with the current economic climate, the N.H.S. will be making sure that there is no unnecessary waste. When I worked as a Support Worker for the Learning Disability Service of the Bedfordshire and Luton N.H.S. Trust I was a keyworker and linkworker for some of the clients in my care, and part of the job was to review their medication. We had to find out if medications they were on would interact and to keep a sharp eye out for any side-effects. We used a standard N.H.S. book called the B.N.F. (British National Formulary) which lists virtually every known prescription drug in use by the N.H.S. as well as alerting professionals such as doctors, carers etc as to the side-effects of these drugs. There is also an on-line version, which you have to register with before you can use, so of you want to find out accurate information about a particular drug, I can recommend it. I have done several drugs administration courses as part of my former job, and also know how to handle and administer medications, including recording of what has been given and when, which is extremely important.

The pharmacist at the chemist went through all my medications with me, asking me what time I took them, and did I know what they did. In all cases I know exactly what they are for, partly as a result of research on the B.N.F. website and partly from asking the professionals I have appointments with as I always ask whenever my medications are changed, including when the dosage is increased or decreased. All dealt with in an extremly professional manner and makes me confident that I'm being dealt with properly. Any information deemed important would be passed on to the surgery.



No comments: