Heart attack

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Dull, Damp and Dreary Day

    Today starts wet and miserable. Over-cast, and for this early hour of the day, 8.45, it seems incredibly dark. I'm put in mind a poem I remember from school called "November", by Thomas Hood, which describes very well such a day.  Must say quite a lot about my education if I can recall such a poem. Strange how such things stick in your memory. I don't think it had a great deal to do with the teaching, but I suppose poems create strong emotions, create pictures in your head. I can't say I have particularly happy memories of Rushmoor School, quite the opposite. Here it is:

    November
    NO sun--no moon!
    No morn--no noon!
    No dawn--no dusk--no proper time of day--
    No sky--no earthly view--
    No distance looking blue--
    No road--no street--no "t'other side this way"--
    No end to any Row--
    No indications where the Crescents go--
    No top to any steeple--
    No recognitions of familiar people--
    No courtesies for showing 'em--
    No knowing 'em!
    No traveling at all--no locomotion--
    No inkling of the way--no notion--
    "No go" by land or ocean--
    No mail--no post--
    No news from any foreign coast--
    No Park, no Ring, no afternoon gentility--
    No company--no nobility--
    No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
    No comfortable feel in any member--
    No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
    No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds--
    November!

    Thomas Hood


No comments: