Heart attack

Friday, May 26, 2017

10th Wedding Anniversary

Today is Carol and my 10th Wedding Anniversary. Not sure what stone, piece of metal or other material represents this anniversary. Apparently, after doing a search on Google, it's supposed to be tin or aluminium. So, what are we supposed to be given? A tin of baked beans or some cutlery made of aluminium? A set of steak knives? Kitchen spoons? Well, at least it's warm and sunny. Carol finishes school this afternoon as it's Half Term next week. We're booked to go to see a show at the Derngate in Northampton tomorrow. 'Running Wild.' This is a play that uses puppets and is based on a novel written by Michael Morpurgo. 'War Horse,' another of his books, was adapted by the National Theatre and has been a highly successful play which is currently touring the U.K.

It's yet another very warm day. I have had to go into Sainsbury's as I needed to order Carol a repeat prescription. I didn't have much in my trolley and was queuing at one of the checkouts when one of the staff came up to me and asked me if I wanted to use the self-service checkouts. I don't always use them as I'm always in favour of having a human on the check-out. I'm not over-keen on the voice you get on these computerised check-outs which keep shouting at you to do this or that and tell you that you've got an 'unrecognised item in bagging area' when you've haven't. Anyway, I was wheeled around to the self-service checkout area and this lady whisked my shopping through at break-neck speed. I had little time to draw breath. I think she was keen to get me out of the store. Then I couldn't find my Nectar card, to swipe it to get my points. This is a problem, as most stores seem to have some sort of loyalty card. We have quite a collection and they're kept in my wallet, along with my bank debit cards. So, the problem is, when you arrive at the checkout, wherever it might be, Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsbury's or even Costa, Waterstone's, Pets At Home etc etc., you have to scramble for your wallet and then ferret within it's confines to look for the relevant card. My wallet has space for a couple, but then the rest that aren't used that often get buried in another compartment. I have managed to download the apps that are supposed to correspond with the various loyalty cards but not all of them can be used in the same way as their plastic counterparts.

I had to drive home a slightly different way because I knew that along Saxon Street they are resurfacing the road. 

No comments: