Heart attack

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Long Wait-rose at the check-out

I went to Waitrose at 12.30 today. I had to buy some ibuprofen for Carol, milk, bath foam and veg for tonight's meal. It took no more than 5 minutes to find what I needed and then attempt to pay for it all. The store was extremely crowded. It seems that Sunday is the new Saturday in retailing and people choose to shop on the so-called 'day of rest.' It would have been a quick and simple shopping trip but there weren't enough vacant tills to make the trip zing. One till was out of action and awaiting repair and two more weren't staffed, so I had no choice but to wait patiently. The self-service tills were busy, so no joy there. It was a good 15 minutes before I had my items scanned, paid for and packed in my bag. Why on earth couldn't Waitrose put on more staff at the check-outs? Surely it's not too much to ask when it's so busy? Couldn't staff be taken away from other areas to operate the tills? This would be the obvious solution. Not everyone wants to use self-service tills, either from necessity or choice. I prefer to use a human-operated checkout. I know it would have perhaps been a faster process to use the self-service tills, but they don't always work properly and are annoying, to say the least.

No comments: