Heart attack

Friday, October 13, 2017

Mystery Man

Here we go again. I'm in the kitchen, standing at the sink, washing up, when a white van draws up, but I can't see exactly what's going on because the hedge which shields off next door's garden. The drive is shared, although the lady who lives that side of us doesn't have a car so the space is usually vacant. Then a man appeared poking about under the hedge with what looked like a screwdriver. I imagine he was only doing his job, but he looked somewhat mysterious and shady. He had a mobile phone to his ear and was talking to someone on it. I imagine he was a workman from a contractor who was going some work on our neighbour's house, for the Council as it's a council house. Probably quite genuine, but he did look a bit shifty. Poor man, as he must have seen me through the window. I should have just gone outside and ask him what on earth he was up to, but I didn't.

Why is I seem to notice so many strange things going on outside our house? No real answer to that question. But there are certainly a great many odd people wandering around 'out there.'

It's been an almost spring-like day today. It's just far too mild, considering we're well and truly into the month of October. We put an extra-thick duvet on the bed, but it's far too hot so I've gone back to have the lightweight summer duvet back on the bed.

We've had a couple of pigeons in the garden. I've seen them sitting on the flowerpot which stands near the shed, although it's full of water. One of them appeared to be swimming in the water, or at least having a bath. I wasn't sure whether the other pigeon might have deliberately pushed the other one into the water. Probably not as I think they're a bit dense, pigeons, and wouldn't be able to think like that. It just looked so comical, floundering about in the water.

After the comic pigeons a squirrel ran across the roof, stopped in the middle, stared at the house, did a little nose-twitch and ran off. And Alfie didn't even notice. It was fast asleep and then one of the two neighbours' cats did a shimmy across the fence and did what the squirrel had done, took a glance at the house, no doubt to see whether Alfie would respond as he usually does. But no . . . it disappeared before Alfie could wake up  and rush out of the house, barking.


No comments: