Heart attack

Thursday, November 09, 2017

Back On-Line

Our broadband and telephone has been down since Sunday. We have Sky, with the satellite television service as well as broadband and landline telephone. The television signal was fine, but for some unaccountable reason the telephone socket disintegrated and as a result I couldn't get the wifi or telephone to connect. I had to use my mobile to ring Sky's helpline and they did a diagnostic test and they decided that it wasn't going to solve anything and that an engineer would have to come out to have a look and hopefully fix the connection. Sky don't actually do the work as the network is provided by Openreach. Without the broadband and wifi operating it meant that the 'catch-up' and other services on the SkyQ box wouldn't work as it works through the internet. I was told an engineer would come out on Wednesday (today) between 1-6 p.m. As it turned out the engineer came at around 8 this morning, much to my surprise, and if he'd come about 15 minutes later I would have been walking to the hospital. But it meant the work was completed within 30 minutes and the internet and telephone were back working perfectly.

It's surprising how much you miss having broadband when it's not there. Not just email, Facebook and Twitter. Incidentally, what is the point of Twitter? I do have an account, and I look it occasionally, but what is the point of it? It's just something that wastes your time. I do sometimes write things on it (is it 'to Twitter? Is it 'to post' on Twitter? I never know.) Are people actually reading what I put on there? There's heaps of advertising, and stuff I never sign up to, or 'Like' on Facebook, but it seems a bit like taking to yourself. Are people that interested in what I post (for want of a better term). I have quite a lot of interests, as you will have discovered if you read this blog on a regular basis. Theatre, literature and history, amongst a few. But do people 'follow' me for any other reason than trying to sell me something, usually stuff I don't care for or show the slightest interest in. It's a form of communication, so-called 'social media.' Passing on information, some of it interesting but, on the whole, most of it just plain pointless and boring. In other words, could be actually live without Twitter? On the whole, probably yes.


No comments: