Heart attack

Monday, January 22, 2018

Changeable Weather and No Haircut

Early, when I drove off to go to church at Shenley Christian Fellowship on Sunday morning, it was very dull and over-cast, a sort of mist or fog, but nothing much to talk of. It was also snowing, a combination of snow and rain. The car wasn't frozen up, so I didn't have to scrape of any ice. It continued for most of the morning and, when I left Shenley it was still cold and the snow was beginning to get thicker and faster. By the time I'd got back home it began to fall thicker and faster still. As I write this at 2.05 p.m. the snow has turned into rain and there's no sign of any snow on the ground, fortunately.

Monday morning. It's quite warm and sunny. Well, as warm as it's going to get for late January. I had intended going to get my haircut this morning, at Essential Barbers in Monkston Park. I normally go on a Monday morning, early, because if I go during the early part of the week, I get a discount because of being over 65. There are definite advantages of being of a 'certain age.' I managed to park directly outside and assumed the barbers would be open as normal at 9.30. A staff-member usually turns up a few minutes before-hand to open up. There was another man waiting outside, waiting exactly the same as myself and we chatted for a few minutes. Actually quite a rarity to find someone not attached to there smartphone and quite eager to chat. But after ten minutes or so, there was still no sign of anyone arriving to open up.

Then a young man arrived. Where he came from I have no idea. Wherever he came from, he must have seen us standing outside the barbers to come and talk to us.He told us that Essential Barbers would not be opening up. It had been closed for a few week, most likely since just before Christmas. I have now seen a post on their Facebook page which was dated 4th January. It would appear that the owner has 'done a bunk,' although I'm not entirely sure what that means. I just feel sorry for the staff who no doubt will be without their jobs and get no sort of pay. They still have another branch at North Furzton, but as I write this I have no idea exactly where that is. As I drove away from the parking space I saw another man appear and wait, so I wound down the car window and spoke to him to tell him that Essential Barbers wouldn't be opening any time soon. I do think someone should have put a notice on the barber's shop door to tell prospective customers that they wouldn't be opening up for business. So, if I want to get my hair cut then I will have to find somewhere else.

I drove away from Monkston Park. I made my way to Kent's Hill, which isn't too far away. I was going to close our accounts at Nuffield Health. We haven't been for a swim there in a few months, since Carol's diagnosis, and it seems ridiculous to keep paying out if we're not going to use the facilities. 

No comments: