Heart attack

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Windy Night and Messed-Up Repeat Medications

There has been a howling gale all night. As I write this, at 8.15 a.m. the wind seems to have dropped. I put the rubbish out including the recycling, sorted into two pink bags and when I went out to the front of the house I was surprised how mild it was. That was at around 6.15.

I'm changed the time I take my morning medications. I have been experiencing light-headedness in the evening and thought that perhaps I've been taking my heart medication, including the one for blood pressure, far too early. It used to be at around 6 a.m., in line with when Carol was working. We always got up early, around 5.45 and had tea whilst we watched BBC Breakfast and I used to take my meds at the time I went downstairs to make tea. It just occurred to me the other day that if I took them two hours later, at 8 a.m., it might help to relieve the light-headedness. After only two days of this I have found that this has indeed solved the problem. Just goes to show that, with self-management, you can sort your health issues out. Saving me time in having to go to see my doctor, booking an appointment (which is an issue in itself, as you will realise if you've read earlier posts on here.) Another advantage of having worked in care myself and having done a medications administration course. 

Further to medications. I always order my repeat prescription in good time for Lloyd's at Sainsbury's to put in the order through our surgery, Ashfield Medical Centre. This is done electronically, saving time, energy and hopefully paperwork. You used to have to go to the surgery and put in a written repeat prescription. 48 hours later you'd have to return to the surgery to pick up the paper prescription and then go to any pharmacy to get the prescription made up. All this, meanwhile, meaning a lot of driving to and from the surgery. For the past few years they brought in the electronic system, whereby you nominated a pharmacy which would be inputted on the surgery computer system. Then, when you needed to reorder a repeat, you'd either go direct to your nominated pharmacy or telephone them and give them the order. They would then send in the order via the electronic system and the doctor at the surgery would sign off the order. Generally I would allow at least a week for the completed order to be made up and then go to the pharmacy to collect the order. Obviously I don't want to run out of any of my medications so I give plenty of time for the completion of the order. So, why have Ashfield not completed the repeat, because I had to ring Lloyd's at Sainsbury's to order something for Carol, and at the same time I asked if my repeat prescription to be told that Ashfield hadn't sent the prescription through for it to be made up? I shall ring Lloyd's later to see if it is ready. As I write I think I have one tablet left of one particular med. I'm not likely to want to NOT have that medication ready to take as I don't know what would happen to me without taking it. I think it might be dangerous to not take it, as it's likely to have nasty consequences.

I've been to Sainsbury's this morning. We had a few bits and pieces we needed for our evening meal and I needed to collect my repeat prescription order. I had rung earlier just to check that it was ready and it was. I cannot think what was up with Ashfield Medical Centre regarding the prescription, although it doesn't now matter since the order was made up.

Carol has had to ring the Oncology Doctor at the hospital, or rather, his secretary, as she has to set up an appointment. Now made for Friday morning. Apparently she was supposed to see the doctor after every chemotherapy session. It seems she has disappeared off the radar regarding this. So, who has been prescribing the chemotherapy materials that they've been using in the Oncology Department?

Carol's boss, Kevin, and the lady from the H.R. department at Milton Keynes Academy have been to see her at lunchtime today. A curtesy call, but just keeping a check on her. Asking questions about when she is likely to return to work and what assistance she is likely to need when he does eventually return to work. They are building new laboratories for the science department as well as a new restaurant. It seems that this work has only just started and it's all supposed to be completed before September. These new laboratories should make life easier for all the teaching staff.


No comments: