Heart attack

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Winter Olympics and Rain

We're watching the Winter Olympics. The speed skating. How do they keep the surface of the arena frozen? I presume there's some sort of refrigeration system under the ice. Then I wonder how on earth anyone can keep standing upright when they're on skates. Even the judges have to be able to stand up on skates and move about on the ice.

It's raining. Well, there's a surprise. We're not doing a great deal today, after yesterday's session in the Oncology Suite. Alfie doesn't like rain. He pokes his head out of the door and has a look and if it's wet or he thinks it's going to get him we, then he doesn't go out. Who can blame him. He's only a little dog and he doesn't like getting cold. Yesterday was Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Day. We love pancakes and I'm particularly good at making them. Not to blow my own trumpet, but the secret of good pancakes is in the batter. I've made the batter and it's standing on he work surface. You are supposed to leave it for at least an hour before making your pancakes. Plain flour, two eggs, milk, a pinch of salt and melted butter. Then leave it to stand with a dinner plate on it. I'm not sure why, but I think it's to let the batter thicken as it will and then add a little more milk and give it a good whisk before putting it in a jug to make pouring into the pan easier.

Not a lot going on at the moment. The past weekend was one were, quite frankly, nothing much happened. It's rained. Nothing odd about that, I suppose. As I write this Alfie is asleep on the sofa, flat on his back, with his mouth open slightly and showing his teeth. It looks quite comical. I've never known a dog be able to sleep anywhere, and in such odd positions. He snores, particularly when it's the middle of the night and I wake up. He thinks he can sleep with his head on my pillow. Not the most comfortable place for him to lay, particularly when I can hardly move my head. Does he think he's human? If he sees us doing something, does he think he has to also?

Carol has started making Alfie work for his treats. I've mentioned how he's got wise to what's in the treat tin he got for Christmas, how he goes up to it and nudges it with his nose. Carol hides a handful of treats around the room and it's up to Alfie to sniff them out. We have a set of plastic cups which are used to hide treats in and Alfie has to find them. He finds this very easy. This is called 'enrichment' when it's used in zoos and animal parks, where the staff attempt to get those animals kept in captivity have to work to get their food, rather than having it merely given them to eat. It's supposed to prevent them getting bored.

I had to go in to Sainsbury's for a few items and to order a repeat prescription. I thought I'd ordered the patches Carol has, as it was supposed to be in the last lot of meds I collected. It's difficult to keep up with what is ordered and what is not. I was given a box of stuff at the pharmacy, which must have been ordered via Ashfield Medical Centre. A large consignment was delivered early this morning. There was the sound of something being put through the door at around 7.30 this morning. It was a Royal Mail card saying something had been left in the meter cupboard outside. I was surprised that the delivery driver didn't knock on the door, but at least the parcel has arrived.

Not a lot else to talk about. We had to go to the Oncology Suite just before 4 o'clock this afternoon as Carol's chemotherapy cycle was coming to an end. We arrived in good time, managing to park. The weather is cold, a 'nipping and an eager air' as we walked from the car in through the cardiology  department. The carpark barriers were raised. Things are becoming slightly repetitive, don't you agree? There still seems to be a staff shortage in the Oncology Suite. We had to wait for a good 20 minutes, but there wasn't a lot we could do about it. Carol was eventually called into one of the rooms and the pump she has had for the past day was removed. Returned to the car and left for home. I'm glad it wasn't any later otherwise we'd have been caught in traffic as people left work for home. The days are drawing out which means it's remaining light for later. The next chemo cycle will be the sixth and afterwards they will be doing a scan to see how the treatment is progressing. 

No comments: