Heart attack

Monday, March 19, 2018

Bright, Sunny but Chilly

We have snow on the ground, but the sun is out and it's quite a pleasant morning. Let's hope the snow thaws and things begin to warm up a bit.

I've been out to the Milton Keynes main shopping centre. I parked near The Point (although, in all honesty, it's in an appealing state. Can nobody do something to it, restore it, or just demolish it? It seems a waste of a building, which could surely be used for something. Considering it's a sort of iconic structure, which almost represents Milton Keynes, you'd think something could be done with it.) It may be bright and sunny, but there was a chill wind blowing as I walked from the car into Midsummer Place. I had a browse in Waterstone's. They always have tables with books on, almost directly inside the door as you enter. Almost always have offers, such as 'buy one, get one half price.' Very tempting, but in the end I didn't pick up anything and buy it. I think that's the idea; once you've touched a product, you sort of 'own it,' so you then buy it. I went upstairs to the history centre and there are quite a few books that I will buy in the future, whether from Waterstone's or Amazon, I don't know. As we have Amazon Prime, we get free postage and packing, so it's generally cheaper to buy from them. I know it seems unfair on some 'bricks-and-mortar' bookshops, but if they're going to survive they'll have to make it more attractive to shop there as well as lowering their prices. I must say the Waterstone's in Midsummer Place has been upgraded quite successfully. They have a new coffee shop on the ground floor, whereas they used to have a branch of Costa coffee on the upper floor. Now there seems more shelf space and they also did away with Paperchase (much to Carol's dismay as she's a fan of that companies stationary items.) The new owners of Waterstone's have obviously realised that the stores needed a well-needed facelift to meet 21st shopper's requirements.

I was in real need of refreshment. I had considered the coffee shop in Waterstone's but having looked at the food on offer I gave it a miss. I walked through the main shopping centre. I walked the full length of the mall and then down the opposite walk-way. I had a glimpse in The Works (always good for a bargain book or two.) but nothing appealed. I went into Nationwide Building Society, because I had attempted to order a binder for my set of BBC History Magazines, but for some odd reason the order has not gone through, although the £7 has registered on my statement. When I rang to query this they did not have it shown on their system. I will have to ring and order the binder again and in Nationwide I was given a number to ring to get a refund of the £7. I don't understand what has happened and why things haven't gone as they should have.

Having walked back towards Midsummer Place, I decided to go into Marks and Spencer to have a break in their café. Not too much of a queue, which was preventing me going to several other outlets, such as Cafe Nero, opposite John Lewis. I had a decent latte, ham and cheese sandwich and a piece of Bakewell tart, and then went to have a browse in the men's clothing department and then back down to the main shopping mall. Just as I was walking past the second Waterstone's store I was aware of a male security guard chasing someone along the mall. I couldn't see who he was following, but as I got to about Starbuck's I saw a group of other security personnel. They approached this woman who was carrying a back-pack. She seemed more than a little reluctant to comply with their demands. I wasn't sure where she had been apprehended (no doubt shop-lifting). I wasn't going to hang about to find out, and didn't know whether she was searched to find out what she had lifted. Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to ascertain whether she had paid for whatever it was, proof of purchase being required, such as a receipt, or C.C.T.V. footage of her lifting whatever it was. But she appeared to be in something of a bad temper with the security personnel, shouting and making a scene. I still don't know what the outcome of this incident was and wasn't over-keen to find out. I always think in such circumstances it's probably best to not get too involved as it can only lead to problems. But it was quite eventful when it lasted.

I returned to the car and drove first to Sainsbury's for some shopping and then home.

I have a fitness tracker. Not a Fitbit. It measures the number of footsteps taken as well as heart rate, as well as other measurements. Carol got one off Amazon and I decided to get one myself. Having walked the full length of the shopping centre, down one side and back along the other, I did over 3000 steps. My heart rate comes out at around 60-70 beats a minute. It links up to my iPhone with an app so you can see your progress or otherwise.

It looks as if the snow has gone completely, although, saying that, there were a few stray patches I saw along the side of the road driving back to Eaglestone.

No comments: