Heart attack

Sunday, December 29, 2019

Christmas In Worcester


On Thursday I got back from Worcester, having stayed with my daughter Chloe, Steve and the children, George, Eddie and the newest grandson, Arthur. I drove there on Christmas Eve (Tuesday), stayed over-night into Christmas Day (yesterday, Wednesday) and drove back today (Boxing Day.) It seemed to take longer than anticipated going and somehow it took less time, or seemed to, driving back to Milton Keynes.

I had intended to leave Milton Keynes around 10 o'clock, but then I decided to leave earlier, around 9.30.  I had to get Alfie safely installed in the cage in the back of the car, with the luggage shelf in place and then loaded up my luggage, managing to take a minimum of stuff with me. I stopped at the Shell petrol station along Grafton Street and put more diesel in the car and then drove off towards Buckingham and eventually got on the M40. Unfortunately the weather changed somewhat. It was dull when I left Milton Keynes, with dark clouds building, but beyond Buckingham the sky cleared and the sun came out, but by the time I got on the M40 it clouded over and rained and the other vehicles threw up a really horrible spray, so it was well that I kept my distance from the vehicles ahead of me, but I kept my windscreen wipers on and they managed to clear off any thrown-up spray.

I got about half-way to Worcester and suddenly realised, far too late to do a anything about it, that I had left the three grandson's Christmas presents behind in the flat. I had ordered books from The Book People and had them delivered by post and they were wrapped up and ready to take, but they were in the bookshelf and there was no way I could go back and pick them up. In my rush to get out and start the journey, I had unfortunately not packed them.

I arrived at Chloe and Steve's around 12.30. Alfie was somewhat over-whelmed by the two boys, my grandsons, George and Eddie, and spent the first hour or so barking loudly, but eventually settled down and was fine for the rest of my visit.

Chloe and Steve are having an extension built to their house. There will be an extra bedroom as well as a utility room and the bathroom will be moved from it's present position. They are hoping to have the work started around May/June 2020 and it is hoped to take a few months to complete. I've slept on a folding bed which was set up in what is called the playroom, downstairs at the front of the house. Last year, when I came for Christmas, I had the small bedroom which Steve used as an office, but this year it is the third grandchild, Arthur's, bedroom.

At around 2.30 Chloe and Steve took the children to what was called the Manger Service at the local church. I remained in the house and they came back at around 3.45.

Once the two grandchildren had gone to bed, Chloe and Steve bought the Christmas presents out of the loft, where they had been hidden. I was shocked by the number of presents (not all for the two boys, you understand!) One present was a bicycle for Eddie, which had to be wrapped with old wallpaper in an attempt to disguise it. Not easy, because of it's shape. But it was placed near the Christmas tree. Chloe had to set up something for Father Christmas to eat when he came during the night to deliver the children's presents, a glass of milk and a mince pie (with a bite taken out of it.) and a carrot for Rudolph (again, with a bite taken out of it.)

The next day, being Christmas Day, the house was a hive of activity, with Christmas lunch being prepared.  George and Eddie came downstairs and began to open their presents, which were under the Christmas tree. Chloe and Steve had got the vegetables ready for preparation and I was detailed to do the Brussel sprouts. Steves parents arrived at around 10.30 and they had bought with them turkey and other foods.  More people arrived at before lunch could be served we had to rearrange the furniture, with the dining table taken into the lounge with one of the sofas removed to the space the table had originally taken and the second sofa moved to a different position. The table has an extension which was put in and then chairs placed around it and eventually the table was laid for 12 people, including two babies and one toddler.


No comments: