Heart attack

Thursday, April 11, 2024

Eclipsed!

 Monday. 6.20 a.m. There is a solar eclipse today. I have an idea it would be seen in Great Britain. No doubt, if it was, it would be obscured by clouds and there would generally be poor visibility.

Tuesday. 5.25 a.m. I know, it's far too early to be writing this, but never mind. It's blowing a gale outside. I woke up and thought I heard rain, but it wasn't.

5.55 p.m. It has remained windy all day, but the sun has been shining.

I haven't done a great deal today, apart from going to Sainsbury's. I wouldn't normally have gone there on a Tuesday, but since I've stopped going to Camphill (I can't believe it's more than six months since I went there last.) I have time on a Tuesday to do my shopping. I completed my shop, and there was a free manned till (actually operated by a woman. (Thinks: are we allowed to say 'manned' in these woke-filled times? Better be careful. Might get arrested for having a thought that someone else doesn't like.)

The travelators were working, both the up and the down! I can't believe how often these have been out of service and how long each one has been worked on by engineers. 

Wednesday. 6.35 a.m. Another mild day. 

I've been watching the new 'limited drama' on Netflix, 'Ripley', which is based on 'The Talented Mr Ripley' by Patricia Highsmith. I have read the novel and seen the film version which came out in 1999, directed by Anthony Minghella, starring Matt Damon and Jude Law. I have to say, it didn't really have much of an effect on me at the time. It didn't seem to work for me, but then I saw the Hitchcock film 'Strangers On A Train', based on another Patricia Highsmith novel, but not realise it was based on one of her novels at the time. I read that novel and then read 'The Talented Mr Ripley' and enjoyed it immensely. It's so tightly plotted, and Ripley is such an engaging, clever character, that I got hooked and have since read several more of her novels, so I was fascinated to learn that Netflix was doing an adaptation, done over several episodes and starring Andrew Scott as Ripley. I think it would be described as a psychological thriller. I think what interests me, is that we, the reader, know that Ripley is the instigator of the drama in the story, but most of the other characters, do not. Also, how Ripley gets away with what he does. They have kept the period it is set as the early 1960s. It wouldn't work if it had been set in the 21st century, because Ripley would have been found out due to technology such as closed-circuit television, the internet and mobile phones.

2.55 p.m. The on switch on my electric kettle came off. It just wasn't substantial enough for the purpose it was made for. It is a Russell Hobbs, and its main body is clear glass which lights up blue when it's working and has a Brita water filter inside it, so when you fill it, the water gets filtered. You have to replace the filter around every month. There is a sort of meter on the lid, which you set up when you put a new filer in, press the thing and four blocks show, each one disappears as each week ends, so, when the thing is blank, you know to put a new filer in. As this is a hard water area, it means all the minerals that produce limescale is removed, making your cup of tea taste better. You don't get that horrible scum on top of your cuppa.

Anyway, I digress. I was mentioning the on/off switch breaking off. I've put up with it for about a month, but I decided to attempt to repair it. I thought I'd try super-glue and went into Sainsbury's the other day (I know, I seem to spend a lot of time in there.) and looked in the stationary department and found Loctite, which is one of those special glues which you have to be careful of when you use it, otherwise, you could stick your fingers together or any other part of your body, which could be rather unfortunate. Well, having bought this tiny tube home (no, a tube is the wrong word. It's not your traditional tube, just a tiny plastic job, with a nozzle. Well, I did read the instructions and was attempting to open the confounded thing. What an effort! I could not gert the contents to come out. So, I left it on the kitchen work surface, and haven't attempted again until this afternoon. I took it to Vashti, our SHO at Dexter House, but she couldn't get it to open. Then, I suddenly had a brainwave. I remember Carol using some sort of long needle when she used to do crochet, and, with a bit of effort, it worked! Glue put on the aforementioned on/off switch, and, having only just checked, after the required 10 minutes you are supposed to leave it, it has held. So, mission accomplished!

No comments: