Heart attack

Sunday, April 28, 2024

Ups and Downs

 Wednesday. 7.45 a.m. Here I am, up bright and early. I don't actually know whether I'm feeling bright, whatever that means, but definitely early. I've taken Alfie out, and he's now fast asleep in his bed, which is in front of the window and next to the television unit. I've washed up, sorted the recycling, which goes into three bags, and taken it to the bin room. I think you call it that, anyway, the unit into which your rubbish goes. 

10.10 a.m. I had to go to Sainsbury's. Alfie needed his mixer, which goes in his bowl, and then I put a pouch of food on top. He then has something to nibble throughout the day if he feels hungry. There was more I needed, just to top up, so I shouldn't need to go again until next week

Thursday. 1.35 p.m. I went to the Thursday morning Bible study, which begins at 10.00 a.m. Before I got there, I went to Boots at Westcroft, which is a short distance from the Oaktree Centre. I wanted something to relieve the horrible cough I have had to endure for quite a while now. When it starts up, which it does frequently, it's difficult to stop. A lot of phlegm at the back of my throat seems to be what causes it, so I mentioned this to the doctor when I had my appointment last Tuesday, and she suggested I go to a pharmacy and check with the pharmacist there, so I could have a suitable cough mixture. She also listened to my chest, but could not find anything that might suggest it was caused by an infection. Which was a relief. So, in Boots, I was recommended Benylin non-drowsy. So, I have started taking it, every four hours. I have had another unpleasant coughing fit, so I can't say exactly whether it's working, but here's hoping.

Friday. 6.20 a.m. It's another bright and mild morning. The sun has been up for quite a while, and it's attempting to shine. At least it's not raining!

I took a dose of Benylin at around 8 p.m. yesterday, and it appeared to ease the cough, although I did get a coughing fit during the night, and I'm due to take another dose at about 7.30. You are supposed to take it every four hours.

1.50 p.m. It's surprisingly sunny this afternoon. I took Alfie a few minutes ago, and I didn't put a jacket on.!

I am reading a book at the moment, written by Ruth Goodman. It's called 'How To Be A Victorian', and covers how the Victorians lived, how they dressed, ate, and far more. She bases a great deal of what she writes about on her own experience, and, having seen many of her television programmes, including 'The  Tudor Farm' and the 'Victorian Farm', as well as a pharmacy seen over several eras, she does what I would term 'learning by doing.' Many archaeologists use a similar method to find out how certain functions were managed throughout history. Again, learning by doing. It's interesting because it's how ordinary people live. Most history is about those in power, kings, emperors, and Prime Ministers, so to learn how those lower down the pecking order lived is in some ways far more interesting to me.

Saturday. 9.40 a.m. Another unpleasant coughing fit, but I think the Benylin is beginning to have an effect. The phlegm is loosening. 

I finished watching 'Ripley' on Netflix. It has been a real treat, lots of twists and turns with the plot and I hope the next novel in the Patricia Highsmith series of novels, which feature Tom Ripley, gets made. Such an interesting and multi-faceted character.  I have watched a video on YouTube, which explains the ending of this series (I won't mention too much of the content here, as it would give away the plot.), but it also provides a critique of the production, symbolism etc, which makes viewing more interesting.




No comments: