We eventually managed to turn the car round, having had to avoid sliding into any number of other cars which had ground to a halt on the roundabout, and headed towards New Bradwell. It was the only other route which looked anyway half clear. But it didn't actually turn out that way, as we eventually discovered. we got through New Bradwell and drove past the Tidy Tip. At that point we were going up a hill, but it was so icy and slippery that other cars had stopped. One man attempted to turn his car round in the entrance to the Tidy Tip, but he made a really poor job of it, basically because he was going too slowly and in the wrong gear, so his car was stuck half-way across the road, which prevented any other vehicle passing. We attempted to give some sort of assistance, but he was rather rude to us, so we went back to our car. Some people don't deserve help, he being one such person. We had to go back through New Bradwell and to the Wolverton roundabout, and eventually went towards Stony Stratford, and we found that the road there was just as clogged up. And virtually no sign that the road had been cleared by snow plough.
We did eventually get back to Crownhill, but all in all our little adventure had taken over THREE HOURS. I decided that I would risk all and go to another call in Bletchley, and Carol said that she wanted to come with me. We got out of Crownhill and onto the main grid road, but then, as I applied the brakes going towards one of the roundabouts, there was a really nasty grinding noise coming from the brakes. I really didn't know whether the car was going to stop, and was concerned that we would run into a car on the roundabout. It was then that I thought that perhaps all the driving in the snow and ice earlier had effected the car's braking system (perhaps ice had got into the discs, considering that in some places the snow was up over the wheels to quite a height, so that some ice and grit had got into the brakes, which was likely to have caused the grinding.) We turned the car round, very gingerly, and was really wary of using the brakes, just in case we didn't stop, and went home. I rang the agency (oh, I mustn't call it that, silly me!) and said that, due to the conditions and what was happening to the car, I wasn't going out for the rest of the day. I got a really negative response, (what did I expect . . . !) but all this was from a safety point of view. I wanted to take the car to the garage to get them to check the brakes, which I eventually did and found that there was no real danger. There was some grit in the brake discs, which was cleaned out, but I was certainly not going to risk life and limb until it was checked.