Heart attack

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Foggy and Dull

Today started really foggy and dull. I think you best describe it as a 'dead day.' Typical November day. I seem to remember a very appropriate poem when I was at school called 'November.'
It's by Thomas Hood and here it is:

No sun - no moon!
No morn - no noon -
No dawn - no dusk - no proper time of day.
No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable feel in any member -
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds! -
November! 


Quite brillant and descriptive of the sort of day today was.

It must have had a profound effect on me if I remember it from school, so I'm grateful to the English teacher who must have introduced me to this poem. Also whichever teacher first introduced me to William Shakespeare at some stage of my literary education as I have been a real lover of his work ever since. Hamlet in particular is a play which intrigues me and still has a very strange power which is with me to this very day. Not much I don't know about it as a piece of theatre or literature.



No comments: