Heart attack

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Macmillan Unit Appointment

On Wednesday morning we had an appointment at the Macmillan Unit at Milton Keynes Hospital with a lady from Citizens' Advice about benefits. Very positive and helpful. We have to ring a telephone number to start the process, and once that is done and the D.W.P. (Department of Work and Pensions) sends a completed application form we will have another appointment with the lady from C.A.B. to complete the application. It wasn't as bad as it might have been, having myself been through this process when I lived on my own in my flat in Bedford after my heart attack in 2006. Fortunately we managed to park the car in the regular car park. Just as well the appointment was early in the morning because, from experience, this can become very full later in the day.

When we arrived, a good deal earlier than we needed, we made use of the time by going into the Oncology Suite as Carol needed to have the P.I.C.C. line changed. Fortunately they weren't busy and a nurse did this in time before we went to the Macmillan Unit. The line has to be checked and changed to prevent any blood clots.

We picked up the stoma bags which had been left behind the reception desk and then left. As we walked out of the hospital it was bright sunshine, but earlier, when we got in the car at home, there was a smattering of what looked like snow on the car. Also, it was quite chilly and very likely there would be snow later.

Carol was determined to go out for a coffee somewhere, anywhere, so we drove to Waitrose at Oakgrove and had latte and a snack in their café. You get the coffee or tea free if you have a My Waitrose card, and we both have our own so we both get the coffee free, but you have to have something to eat it you use the café, which is reasonable enough. I had a Danish pastry and Carol had a custard tart. We then browsed the store and bought quite a bit, together with a free copy of The Guardian, as you also get a free newspaper if you spend over a certain amount, I think it's £10. They've redesigned The Guardian and changed the size from Berliner to Tabloid. I quite like the new size but I'm not sure of the new masthead. I don't think it suits a newspaper of the calibre of The Guardian somehow, but I suppose I will get to like it, with time.

Well, I think Carol enjoyed her morning out, even if it began at the hospital. We haven't been out for quite a while due to her illness. Being stuck indoors for such a long time is beginning to pall, as you can imagine, and the fact that it was bright and sunny, although cold, made all the difference.

No comments: