Heart attack

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Over-Night Thunder Storm

Last night we had an almighty thunders storm over Milton Keynes. I don't think it was confined to just Milton Keynes. It was over most of the south of England, apparently. I woke up and found that Carol was downstairs with Alfie. There was some rain and I could hear it rattling the windows but gradually the sound of distant thunder could be heard and it came nearer and nearer. Then I could hear Carol coming upstairs and into the bedroom. She does not like thunder or lightening. The storm got more and more intense and violent. It seemed to go on for quite a while. Probably not long in reality, but it seemed a long time. Alfie didn't know what to do. He just wanted to get as close to either of us as he could. It's difficult to know whether he was scared and he didn't bark or seem to get particularly upset. Poppy, our other dog (who died well over a year ago.) didn't like sound noises, particularly fireworks or thunder. She would hide under furniture, usually our bed, to get away from it. Alfie didn't used to be bothered with fireworks when he was younger, but now he barks. I think he thinks it's someone knocking on the door or something. I suppose it's difficult for any dog to understand what those outside noises are. Their little world is the house, with us taking care of them. He dives under the duvet and pushes himself up against us. Actually comforting for him as well as us. It's actually upsetting to see him getting so stressed.

As I write this (at just gone 1 o'clock.) its quite calm and peaceful. It's warm, no rain, but I think there's the possibility of rain later.

I drove over to S.C.F. (Shenley Christian Fellowship) at 8.40 this morning. As it's a bright and clear morning, no rain, it was quite a pleasant drive. Until, just going over the roundabout at Fulmer Street, a car comes right up close behind me. I was doing at least 50 M.P.H. I was taught to always drive within my safe speed, but this idiot was almost touching my rear bumper. I suppose I could just put my foot down on the accelerator and get out of his way, but why should I be bullied into driving more dangerously? He wouldn't move back. He could have easily overtaken me, as there was no other traffic in the other direction. He seemed to be closer than ever. So I pulled into a lay-by. very conveniently placed, and just let him drive past on his way. Then I continued with my journey once he'd gone.

Why do people have to do this? Is it just that they want to have the whole road to themselves? The old 'I own the road' syndrome? It does seem like it. If you don't get out of the way, I'm going to sit on your tail and get as close as possible, just to annoy you, so I get my own way. It's actually quite intimidating. I think some people drive around in their cars, in a sort of bubble, and don't have to actually interact with others. I reckon this is caused by social media. You can set up an account on Facebook or Twitter (or other sites) and collect 'Likes' and 'Friend' people, but they aren't real. You can make comments on other peoples' posts, their photographs or whatever. You can make quite nasty comments, but you know you can't be touched. It's not like communicating in the 'real' world. You are anonymous to some extent. It's not as if the person you're making comments on is in front of you. I doubt that the driver of that car who came so close to me in his car this morning would have come that close to me if we'd been standing in a queue in the supermarket or elsewhere. If he'd shoved me he could probably  have been done for assault. 

No comments: