Heart attack

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Still Going Strong!

Saturday. 8.15 a.m. Well, can't believe I'm still writing these blog posts. This will be the number 1,873. I know a great deal of what I write is waffle, boring and a lot of it is mere trivia, but it has kept me busy and, when I started it back in around 2011, I would never have imagined that it would be going so many years later.

It's fine and sunny this morning, as I type this. Not sure how warm it is outside, but I shall find out soon enough, as I'm going to Sainsbury's soon to buy milk and one or two other items I need.

9.55 a.m. It is actually quite warm out. I've only just come back from Sainsbury's. The travelator is working on the downside, although it is making some unpleasant noises. The wretched voice which tells you to get ready to push your trolley off as you approach the bottom is not working. I hope it isn't merely having a rest or gone away on holiday, as it is really annoying.

Monday. 6.15 a.m. Where did Sunday go? I went to church as usual. It was Palm Sunday yesterday. There's something called 'Messy Church in the afternoon, which is aimed at children and families. I've never been involved, so I don't know enough about it.

I woke up a good deal later than normal. Which meant that Alfie didn't go out as early as he usually does. 

It's light outside as I write this. Spring is definitely here.

I have mentioned this before, but around this time of year, near Carol's birthday, I have daffodils in the flat as a sort of memorial to my lovely late wife. I got several bunches in Sainsbury's and put them in two vases, one on each side of my television. They start off with their buds tightly closed, but over time they gradually open, and I have the full glory of them. The past couple of bunches have started to open, but then they don't fully open and they die. I can't understand why they don't why they don't open fully. The current bunches aren't actually daffodils. I think they are narcissi. They are more star-shaped, with an orange centre.

Tuesday. 5.25 a.m. Oh dear! It's really the last thing I want at this early hour. The fire alarm is going off. I have taken Alfie out, but he doesn't like it, and neither do I. He has gone into my bedroom. I suppose I'll have to endure the confounded noise for the next hour until the fire engine arrives, and the thing is switched off. I suspect someone in one of the flats within Dexter House has burnt their toast or something, which set the alarm off.

I've bought a new Fire Stick. The old one, which I've had for quite a while, probably 4-5 years, is not now up to the job. It doesn't have enough memory and it's become slow. This new one has a far larger capacity, and a few more bells and whistles. It was at a reduced price in the Amazon sale, and I got it around half price. I ordered it yesterday morning, about 7 o'clock, and it arrived at about 6.30 p.m. It was easy enough to set up and get all my apps working.

5.35 a.m. Thank goodness! The fire alarm has been turned off. I'm not sure, but someone came to switch the wretched thing off. Not sure if a fire engine came. If it did, I didn't hear it.

Wednesday. 7.40 a.m. A bright and sunny morning, but chilly.

10.25 a.m. Been to Sainsbury's . . . . again! I know, I do seem to spend quite a lot of my time shopping in there. I'm just trying to buy stuff for only a few days. We used to have a sort of habit of stocking up for about a month or so, which is what any supermarket wants you to do. I don't see the point myself. For a start, I don't have space for a month's worth of food.

2.20 p.m. I have been to Boots Opticians to get my eyes tested. The appointment was booked for 12.10. I got to the store in plenty of time, having made sure I could park the car and then walk through to the shopping centre. I got to Boots and had to sit and wait for about 20 minutes. A lot of new technology is used to check for various eye conditions. I don't like the one where they shoot a puff of air into your eye, but it went well enough. Also, one (which is an additional check, which you pay for.) has something to do with a 3D scan (not sure how it works.) Having an interest in archaeology helps explain the way it probably works. They can scan objects, such as vases, buildings, furniture etc etc., and then a 3D model can be produced, either on a computer screen or can be used to 'print' a 3D model. Anyway, no real problems with my eyes, except for slight deterioration due to my age, which I suppose is to be expected.

Once the eye test was completed, I had to choose glasses frames and have two pairs made up of lenses, one with Transitions lenses, which become darker when you go into bright sunlight. My current glasses have these lenses. Also, scratch-resistant surfaces on glasses, which is always worth having. Anyway, the glasses will be ready to collect in a week.


No comments: