Heart attack

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Too Darn Hot!

The television weather forecast got it right: they said it was going to get warmer, due to something to do with the Jet Stream. Comes up the Atlantic Ocean from the tropics or something. So today it's really hot and sunny. Neither of the dogs seem to like it. Alfie's has been flat out asleep on the sofa  for most of the morning and Poppy's hiding behind the armchair I usually sit in. Alfie has been wandering around the house not knowing exactly where to lay to keep cool. He has been out in the garden and spent some time laying on the paved area near the patio doors, but then came back in the house, lay back on the sofa and then went to lay on the floor at the foot of the stairs. I suppose that is one of the coolest places as it's a laminated wooden floor. Alfie can sleep anywhere, and usually does. I've never known a dog be so able to fall asleep at the drop of a hat. What a weird expression! Where on earth does it comes from? Who's hat, and why was it dropped? I'll have to do some research. It probably alludes to the signal to start a race. Which I just found out having done a Google search. Anyway, Alfie can fall asleep very quickly, which he can do at night. He sleep on our bed. If you disturb him, he growls. Makes his feelings known. Very territorial. He also snores. It's really funny, I must say. Anyway, as I was saying, it's a really warm day. I have washing out hanging on the line in the garden, so it's likely to be dry very quickly. We went to Asda early this morning (handy having them open 24 hours.) and I saw a copy of the Daily Express (incidentally, not a paper I would  ever read.) I couldn't miss the headline which said that the 'heatwave will last two weeks.' Is it believable? It's difficult to say, but it's likely to make things difficult, particularly sleeping at night. If you have the window open to keep the bedroom aired and cool, it means that the dogs can hear other dogs and also strange sounds and this sets them off barking. Also, next door's cats have a habit, as I've mentioned before on here, of wandering into our garden, sun-bathing on the roof of the shed at the bottom of the garden, and setting off both dogs barking and getting over-excited. You'd think that they would have got used to these cats living next door, which must be well over two years by now.

No comments: